The Compound Effect: Darren Hardy
- Real success cannot be achieved through quick fixes
- Remove the excess
- Compound effect is a realistic method that enables success by use of 6 fundamentals
- 6 fundamentals = operating system
- “Small, smart choices + Consistency + Time = Radical Difference”
- These little details compound over time to achieve BIG THINGS
- Have to start somewhere (Even if it is a minuscule step)
- Process focused & continuous growth
- Be mindful to not disregard the simple/boring steps, must see the big picture
EX: Would you rather be given 1 million dollars today… or a penny doubled every day for 30 days?
At first, the million dollars seems more attractive, but because of the compound effect, the penny is the correct choice and produces a greater return in the long run.
- Those that focus on small steps like the penny, extract greater benefit when compounded over time. Those who focus on quick gratification, such as the lump million-dollar sum, will fall behind
- If we hang around successful people then we have a greater chance of being successful.
- Make yourself someone you’d want to hang around
- Daily routine is extremely important
My routine when I get to the baseball field every day: Put my phone away > Eat > hang with teammates > rehab > pre-practice training > coffee > Training
- The path to success is often boring and lacks attraction
- We usually only notice the great things someone has done, not realizing all the work they put into it.
- Very easy to stay in our comfort zone
- Personal growth comes from leaving our comfort zone
- Understand what we want to achieve, and then bring awareness and attention to it by daily focus.
- “Track every action that relates to the area of your life that you want to improve.”
- Internal motivation must be greater than instant satisfaction
- “YOU —> CHOICE + BEHAVIOR + HABIT + COMPOUNDED = GOALS”
- Ask yourself, what gets in the way of me achieving this goal?
- What aids me in achieving my goal?
- Simple – Winning formula.
Hello, Mr. MO!
- Once started, it’s easier to keep rolling.
- It’s all about exertion of force in the right direction
- Make new choices based on goals
- Work through positive behaviors
- Repeat until it’s a habit
- Build in routines into daily life
- Stay consistent for a long time
Bookend Your Days
- Usually, we have great control over the end and beginning of days.
- Starting and ending our day with a positive, consistent routine can make a huge impact.
- Can’t have a sandwich without the bread because it holds everything together.
First thing in the morning, I Make my bed (1st win of the day)… Last thing at night, I Read.
- Early morning thoughts are usually clear and rich.
- Bookending our days make us feel that we’ve accomplished something and can get us back to neutral.
The Next Five Years
- Looking back to the last 5 years, are we where we had planned to be?
- Focus on improving in the areas where we lack and keep the momentum going in the positive areas of our life.